Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's the minimum word count?

The other day, like so many days before it, someone referred to me as "so quiet." It is nothing that I have not heard before in one variation or another. "Too quiet," "so quiet," "you don't talk much, do ya?" or "you don't talk enough." It is one thing to say that someone is "quiet" or "reserved"-- those are observations. But, when the qualifier words (too, so, not enough) are used, it becomes a judgment that I think is unfairly applied. The implication is that we are not normal or that there is something wrong with us. I wholeheartedly disagree. Now, I realize that these comments typically come from people that talk constantly and are insecure about it. Putting me or other "quiet people" down affirms them and makes them feel better about themselves. (That is my observation or judgment). Personally, I would rather be around someone that doesn't feel the need to fill every waking second with conversation or babbling or flat-out noise as it becomes sometimes. But, since I hear this so often, I am wondering-- what is the minimum word count, anyway? I must have missed that memo or was not listening when some extrovert shouted it from the rooftop. What I do is speak when someone speaks to me or when I have something to say. If I don't have anything to say, I don't say anything. If I have work to do, I do not talk, unless my work involves a meeting or telephone call. It is an effective system for me, but apparently not for the talking police. I seem to be falling short of the word quota. If someone could give me some guidelines for basic conversational situations, I will see what I can do.

You know, there is one person in this world that stands out above all others as someone that has NEVER told me that I am too quiet or that I do not talk enough. His name is Eddie Branch. What does that say to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That says to me that you are married to him :-p Which you better be, since he thinks you are just right, just the way you are :)

Marie said...

Exactly! There were a lot of "green flags" (as opposed to red ones) with Eddie that told me he was the one for me, but this was one of the biggest.